Tuesday, February 28, 2017

A New Month


I take the worse pictures in the world!  I have decided this year is not going to be about goal setting, but to enjoy.  I have enjoyed the first two months of this year.  Minis make me happy, block making makes me happy.  I enjoy working with those small pieces.  This was my quilt guild's challenge "hearts desire" and my heart's desire is to some day own a small cabin in the woods.  I love whimsy and tiny buttons, too.


And Charlotte - I so enjoy these odd ladies.  Each has their own character that is so fun to play with.  I plan to make each into it's own mini - each to be enjoyed on it's own rather that as a whole quilt.


And I did get the camp quilt finished.  Fun bits of camping print scraps turned into stars with left overs from the brown bear quilt.  I did purchase the 'RealTree' hunting print for the outer border, but it added to this quilt.


I used a meander with some wonderful 'Autumn' varigated thread (gifted, and thank you) and the back is double polar fleece which means I didn't use a batting.  A lot of people struggle making men's quilts, but I enjoy them.

Although no goals, I do have a huge list of things I play with thru the month:
Two Step QAL, Temecula Quilt Co (geese), Bleeker Street QAL (making minis with sections), RSC17 (fun piggies), Solstice, 2 Hexie projects, Quilt Doodle (30' Dresdens - yet to start), Patch Work QAL, Yankee Diary, and the Bag Ladies. 

I don't beat myself up if I don't get to one or the other as things will get caught up as I see fit.  And I am trying to quilt one of my own (in that bottomless tote) UFOs and sending one of the large ones out to my long armer - they might get done this way.  My long armer just finished up one of the biggies and I hope to get the binding on so I can use the weekend to hand stitch the binding.


And Miss Spite decided to show Moe who was boss and took over the high ground.

March should be a mix bag of weather and quilting - time to enjoy,
Sewingly Yours,
Sharon

18 comments:

sewyouquilt2 said...

love your mini quilts and your camp quilt. funny how cats are. my two are always fighting over a fav spot. then tomorrow it is a different fav spot. silly cats.

Sarah said...

Lots to keep you busy (out of trouble?!?) this month!! I love to see all your projects moving along with such variety from the scraps that come to play. A little play for top cat? Really? Cuz that never happens at my house. Wink!

Debbie said...

With the full schedule you kept last year, your plans to enjoy sounds just perfect. I think the minis and small block projects will keep you moving and enjoying.

Carole @ From My Carolina Home said...

I agree, quilting should be fun, not a race to finish or worry about meeting deadlines. You have plenty to play with, have fun!

Eat Sleep Quilt said...

I like minis too, although I haven't done many lately. Love your whimsical heart's desire.

rossana said...

Love the little cabin quilt. March has too many projects lined up, but I am going to our local quilt shops retreat the last weekend, so hopefully I will get at least one top done!

Barbara said...

You and I have been on the same page with this lack of goals business, and I am enjoying it too. Your little cabin in the woods is adorable. It makes me think of that little nursery rhyme about "There was a crooked man..." It looks like you have some sort of boot fabric in the center of your star. Catches my eye because I'm about to take another Ann Shaw class on the technique of Ruth McDowell, and I'm going to use a converse high-top tennis shoe print in my border...more later. Sew on. Be happy.

Calicojoan said...

Hey, I've got some of that "camp" fabric in my stash too! LOL!!
Great idea to just have fun this year. Goals can weigh you down some days! That's my excuse for today anyway! :-)

Kevin the Quilter said...

I am enjoying minis too! I blame Janet at Rogue Quilter! LOL The Quilt Cave isn't a cabin, but, it is in the woods, and I love it! I hope you are able to obtain your heart's desire one day soon!

Suze said...

Quilting is to be enjoyed. That's why I'm not quilting right now. I have too many other irons in the fire and it would be work for me because I be too tired and I would be forcing myself to do it instead of doing it for fun. When the live-in granddaughter gets a little older and more secure here, then I can think about it. I love just seeing you enjoy yourself. It gives me pleasure to see your creations and dream of the day when I can create again. So, instead I knit a little.

Janice Holton said...

I couldn't help but notice that you said you love minis. If that is the case, I would love to invite you to join in on a blog hop that a friend of mine and I are hosting. You can find the details by visiting my blog and clicking on the blog button on the right. Judging by the cute little house and tree block on this blog post, I'd say this mini QAL is going to be right up your alley! :)

Kris said...

May your dream to have a cabin in the woods one day come true - VERY soon!! Love that block and Charlotte is fabulous!!

Joanna said...

You've got a good attitude going there. Your minis are very sweet, and I like that you call them "odd" ladies (I first read old and then got it right.) If I'm ever an "odd" lady (ha:) I hope I have a charming outfit to wear like this lady. Beautiful star quilt, and every cat for herself.

Sheila said...

Love the little cabin in the woods , I enjoy doing minis too . You go about things right , no stress just do what you can and you sure accomplish plenty.

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

Great mini's and quilt. Yes, enjoy the process, first and foremost.

gayle said...

Kick back and enjoy! I always feel like the more projects the merrier - that way I always have something I'm excited to be working on. Your list is inspiring!

Lesley said...

You have some great projects here! Especially love your little cabin!

Kate said...

Your Heart's Desire challenge block is very cute. Hopefully, you get a chance to do that at some point. Enjoy March. Seems you've been doing a good job of fulfilling your 2017 goal of finding happiness.